Gosford, Australia

nothing intrinsic imo, but it just sounds really really dumb!

little-scale wrote:

The title could be changed to "How to Chip Tune with a Game Boy".

"How to Hell Actually Chip Tune with an LSDJ"

Last edited by Victory Road (May 26, 2013 4:45 am)

Earth

I think the verb of "chiptune" has already been claimed by those people who tune chips. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_tuning

edit: Oh the article is pretty sparse, and doesn't really give a good overview of the options for making chip music.

Last edited by breakphase (May 26, 2013 5:21 am)

UK, Leicester
atomsmasha wrote:

what's wrong with using chiptune as a verb?

You didn't learn how to food, you learned how to cook food.

Victory Road wrote:

"How to Hell Actually Chip Tune with an LSDJ"

Oh lol, /thread

perth, WA
Alpine wrote:
atomsmasha wrote:

what's wrong with using chiptune as a verb?

i understand the intricacies of the English language pretty well.

i guess i just don't understand why everyone is so butt hurt over it.

atomsmasha wrote:

It sounds rather juvenile and trite, and the term "chiptune" is misleading enough as it is.
For the longest time my friends thought I remixed Alvin and the Chipmunks songs.

UK, Leicester
atomsmasha wrote:
Alpine wrote:

Not "buthurt" more confused because, y'know, it sounds nasty to say, "I'm going to chiptune" does not flow well. It may also remind people of all those posers etc on youtube with "Lrn how 2 chiptune!!11011!" videos, although that's just a theory.

Also yeah, what Idio said

perth, WA

fair enough

Brunswick, GA USA

Yet another LSDJ primer.

Nottingham, UK

Chiptune as a verb is annoying because it delegitimizes chipmusic by separating it from other kinds of music unnecessarily.

babylon

chiptune as a word is annoying, regardless of usage. i dont think i could articulate why though.

Nottingham, UK

Honestly, it's the "tune" bit. It sounds like all chipmusic comprises of is fun little ditties. So I annoyingly insist on using Chipmusic at all times.

South Jersey, USA
ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Honestly, it's the "tune" bit. It sounds like all chipmusic comprises of is fun little ditties.

rotfl this^

New Albany Indiana
atomsmasha wrote:
Alpine wrote:

same here. Maybe it's just my reputation.

New Albany Indiana

If you guys have any cc that'd be great.

UK, Leicester

Yo dude, unless you're hella blind or something, the last 4 pages of this have had at least some CC

NC in the US of America

Well, you can't write off reputation as being unimportant. Reputation is kind of a big deal in any community.

I don't really think it's just that, though. This thing, while a good effort, just smacks of "amateurity" and it just feels off, for all the reasons that have been listed before. Probably once you actually take the CC that has already been given and use it to improve the article, people will probably give a care to give whatever "useful CC" you are looking for. As it is, though, they probably couldn't give a Gameboy's link-port cover about this article, and they don't really care to improve it. After awhile people get tired of giving advice, tips, feedback and cc to a person who refuses to listen and act accordingly.

For example, why has this thread title not changed after 4 pages of people complaining about it? Though I admire your strength of will. Don't compromise your integrity, man, is what I always say.

Bit wish, I don't know how long you have been in this game, and I don't know how long everybody who's posted in this thread has been in the chipmusic thing. It's really the "heavy-hitters" who have the most say in these types of issues (the "chiptune as a verb" thing). I haven't been in this thing long enough to know every single one of them, so forgive me if I don't recognize you guys. But if the response in this thread is indicative of the feelings majority of the "scene" and you can't understand how they feel, maybe you just need to spend more time in the game.

I really think you should just leave it as is, forget about this thread, and come back in a few months or years and revisit the article after you have had more experience in all things chiptune and see if you can't find out what needs improvement on your own. And don't try to set yourself up as an expert if you aren't one, ya know? People can tell. Humility is actually an important thing, especially when you are new.

Edit: All love, man. I'm not trying to put you down.

Edit: The absence of the input of certain key-people is telling. Looks like there are more than a couple newbs who's opinions matter about as much as yours and mine, lol.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (May 28, 2013 5:55 pm)