Bay City, Michigan
Kommisar wrote:

I heard the output on psp is way better than dmg

easily, its more modern br0

Bay City, Michigan

I'm getting tired of people like The One Electronic, I'm gonna find you and fight you. #chiptroll this is 2much

Detroit

stop if my mom sees you cyberbullying me I won't be allowed to post

Detroit

ok i made part 2 i tried using my psps but I forgot i was playin lumines and im doing really good so i cant use it and then my mom told me i could plug my gameboy into the computer to record but i did know how so she took a yellow cable from the vcr and plugs it in but it didnt work so i guess ym gameboy is broken??? i asked if i could install a program and she said that she doesnt want to risk getting a virus because last time we got  virus and every time the computer it would load and print a page saying that we are "dumb f***ers" but i took it to geek squad and got it fixed it only cost like $30 but now i dont have money to get lunch at olive garden this week.  i couldn twait for her to finish watching independence day and i got mad at her and then she took my laptop away so i couldnt post this until now.  she is asleep

https://soundcloud.com/the-one-electronic/pigtunes-2

This isn't even funny anymore.
It's painful.

UK, Leicester
9-Heart wrote:

This isn't even funny anymore.
It's painful.

It was always painfull

Detroit

Cheers mate

NC in the US of America
The One Electronic wrote:

i just put my gameboy up to the laptop mic and record it in sound recorder

can only be 1 minute long tho sad

I used to do this back in 2000-01 when I first started making music with my yamaha keyboard. What I'd do is press record, and then get ready to press record again as soon as the one minute stops. I got pretty good at it and sometimes you couldn't even notice the sound skip every 1 minute.

After awhile I got smart and realized I could actually re-record over previous recordings. What this meant is that I could record 5 minutes of ambience in sound recorder, "Decrease Volume" over and over until you can't hear it anymore, then rewind to the beginning and record the actual song over those 5 minutes without having any hiccups or the 60 second time limit. You just have to remember to delete everything after the song is over just in case you didn't actually "Decrease Volume" to complete silence. Otherwise after your song is over you'll faintly hear your mom in the kitchen or your brother and sisters playing 2Xtreme or something.

Then I found Acid Xpress but didn't realize I could actually use it to record multitrack music and not just short loops so I never used it except for little loopy beats.

And then I realized you could change the input device of sound recorder to line-in or mute it so you can just record silence without picking up sound from the microphone, but at that time I discovered Audacity and stopped using Sound Recorder except for quick "doodles" of song ideas.

› Show Spoiler

One thing that sound recorder was really useful to me was with making music for Game Maker games. SInce wav files take up a lot of space, but mp3 files don't loop properly, I found out that you could compress wav files to a mpeg layer-3 format and it didn't sound too horrible, it took up waaaay less space, and it looped perfectly in game maker.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 9, 2013 9:26 pm)

Detroit

But in all honesty, I usually do straight recordings.  If it doesn't bump in my car then it sounds no good

Buenos Aires

I am recording a new EP right now. Has anyone tried to record each instrument on a different track instead of for each channel of GB separately?

Lexington, KY

All chiptune needs is this dang ol' maximizing plug right hee-yuh.

http://www.class4beats.com/shop.php/vst … /p_77.html

Record your stuff straight up (do your mixing on your device, whether gameboy or otherwise) and bump that shit with that gnar piece of downloadable-ness.

Atlanta, GA

I do more performance than flat out full piece tracking, plus I use stomp boxes for various effects 'n stuff. I'm no purist, it's just an instrument wink

subtle post processing......... srsly a lot of artists go overboard with mixing when their song is cool and completely ruin it. most lsdj these days imo lol

honestly though, mixing is an art and another component to your song as a single project. some songs can be post processed, some songs you might not want to. it's almost the same as asking someone if your instrument should have delay or not. it's up to you

Last edited by token (Feb 27, 2014 10:53 am)

Gothenburg, Sweden

It's easy to ruin tracks with too much post-processing. On the other hand failing is the only way to learn and progress.

not jophish anymore

Having not written chipmusic with a DMG in literally years, (wow) I see no problem with mastering - and honestly I usually prefer it to unmastered material (or "mixed", what have you). I mean, if you don't know what you're doing, don't do it - shoddy mastering can more easily screw up a mix than good mastering can make it better.

That said, when I was starting out writing with LSDJ, I wrote an EP, and on one track, I wanted the "drop" to be heavier, so I loaded it into Audacity, selected everything after the "drop", and literally just gained it by +10 dB or something stupid. I sent the EP to 8bitpeoples. I am so so so so glad I never released it. Don't do that.

I record it straight from the Game Boy. What's the point of mixing/mastering, really?
1) You can manually change the volume levels of the instruments in LSDJ.
2) Adding too many effects would take away from the chiptune vibes.

That said, I'm eventually going to mix/master my tracks. If anything, just to help clarify the sounds.
Bottom line? Unless your music is very complex, there's no point.