Brazil

I need to start feeding my piggy with st-xx wav files.

I never had problems with wavs, unless I converted it to wrong bits or frequency.

Unsubscribe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toilville/5022675039/

samplers feeding samplers!

San Francisco
herr_prof wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/toilville/5022675039/

samplers feeding samplers!

isnt that how mad cow disease got started? cow eats cow = mad cow.

i would be pissed too if i was made to be a canibal. thank you Oprah.

Tokyo, Japan

Does the level drop on the SU10?

Unsubscribe

no if you adjust the gain levels properly tongue

San Francisco

i would love to see a session or a demo of you jamming with thtat set up, herr_prof.

London, UK

At the risk of revisiting a well-discussed subject, I'm thinking of getting another handheld for some DUAL PIG ON PIG ACTION.

I can probably get a second-hand PSP for the same price as a new Dingoo. I'm currently using LGPT on PSP. Which should I go for? What are the pros and cons of each?

I jailbroke my PSP about five years ago after a few drinks, and I don't really remember the process, other than that it was really fiddly and took me a whole evening...

Turku, FIN

GP2X + midi = awesome
If you have other gear you would like to sync PIG, do that.

Oh, options were PSP and dinger. forget this then..

Last edited by KeFF (Oct 27, 2010 9:47 am)

Tokyo, Japan
matt.nida wrote:

At the risk of revisiting a well-discussed subject, I'm thinking of getting another handheld for some DUAL PIG ON PIG ACTION.

I can probably get a second-hand PSP for the same price as a new Dingoo. I'm currently using LGPT on PSP. Which should I go for? What are the pros and cons of each?

I jailbroke my PSP about five years ago after a few drinks, and I don't really remember the process, other than that it was really fiddly and took me a whole evening...

jumping on matt's hog and riding wild with this thread....

I'd like to get a start with piggy tracker, too. What's the cheapest + fastest way I could go about it

London, UK
cheapshot wrote:

jumping on matt's hog and riding wild with this thread....

I'd like to get a start with piggy tracker, too. What's the cheapest + fastest way I could go about it

The beauty of Piggy Tracker is that it runs on anything - including PCs and Macs (or Linux, if you're that way inclined). My workflow is that I download / make all my samples on my Macbook **, work out some basic loops on Piggy Mac and then move it to my PSP for arranging/jamming/polishing.

So my advice would be, start with it on a PC and if you like the results get a PSP or Dingoo...

** this is where Renoise comes into its own - creating / editing / looping samples then exporting at 8bit resolution FTW!

Geneva, NY

PSP
PSP is highly regarded as the ultimate piggy platform IF you're totally not into using MIDI.  It's sleep mode is a very nice feature and also when the battery "dies" it still actually has a bit of juice in it so you don't have to worry about losing work that way.  They're well-built, have a really nice screen and their sound output is clean.  I've never actually used one extensively, so I can's speak on the cons other than they're a bit more expensive.

Dingoo
The dingoo is my personal fave because I'm more of an on-the-go pigger with a tight budget.  It's really really small and the battery lasts an insanely long time.  I have mine set to go straight to piggy when dingux loads, so from power off to piggy is literally 4 seconds.  Sound output is OK, I've never directly compared but I've heard an entire set of piggy music via dingoo thru a club PA and it sounded excellent.  I recently dropped mine on the face and cracked the screen, but got a replacement from deal extreme for $17.  Plan on doing that today, so I'll let you know how that goes.  The only real cons are that with the small size, the screen is a bit harder to see and that the shoulder buttons aren't as comfortable.  Neither of those 2 things have ever bothered me, but some people have mentioned those aspects.

gp2x
The gp2x has the option of MIDI out using this: http://www.firestarter-music.de/gp2x/ Also, the gp2x's headphone out boosts bass.  Sometimes that is a good thing, sometimes it sounds too muddy.  It depends on the song.  Cons: the gp2x take a long time to boot up and eats AA batteries really quickly.  It's kinda bulky and they're getting harder to find.

Matt, I'd recommend trying the dingoo.  It's so small that I sometimes think I've forgotten it because I can't feel it's in my pocket.  You've already got a PSP so I say go for variety!

Unsubscribe

This might be useful for prospective dingers

http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/2010/1 … ingoo.html

London, UK

Gents, that's perfect - hmm, tempted by the Dingoo now much as I LOVE my PSP...

Really haven't got much need for MIDI  - I quite like being forced to be resourceful with my 8 channels...

Tokyo, Japan
matt.nida wrote:

The beauty of Piggy Tracker is that it runs on anything - including PCs and Macs (or Linux, if you're that way inclined). My workflow is that I download / make all my samples on my Macbook **, work out some basic loops on Piggy Mac and then move it to my PSP for arranging/jamming/polishing.

So my advice would be, start with it on a PC and if you like the results get a PSP or Dingoo...

** this is where Renoise comes into its own - creating / editing / looping samples then exporting at 8bit resolution FTW!

Thanks for the pro tips Matt!

Tokyo, Japan
bleo wrote:

DIngoo
The dingoo is my personal fave because I'm more of an on-the-go pigger with a tight budget.  It's really really small and the battery lasts an insanely long time.  I have mine set to go straight to piggy when dingux loads, so from power off to piggy is literally 4 seconds.  Sound output is OK, I've never directly compared but I've heard an entire set of piggy music via dingoo thru a club PA and it sounded excellent.  I recently dropped mine on the face and cracked the screen, but got a replacement from deal extreme for $17.  Plan on doing that today, so I'll let you know how that goes.  The only real cons are that with the small size, the screen is a bit harder to see and that the shoulder buttons aren't as comfortable.  Neither of those 2 things have ever bothered me, but some people have mentioned those aspects.

looking into this a little more, I see that there are a couple of different versions of the dingoo:
http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k134284957 A320

and the A330 (which essentially looks like a PSP)

which is considered better? the A320 looks a lot more compact and not like a complete rip off that would get laughed at if I had it on the train... just wanted to check your opinion.

cheers

Tokyo, Japan

Yorki mate. you can get A320 dingoos in any of the shady shops in Akihabara that sell R4s and knock off Ipads. Akibakan and such. If you want I we could try and meet up and I will get you started. I can bring my lappy and help you get set up?

I also pig on all three portable platforms so I have a couple of pros and cons I would add too Bleos excellent list. Please forgive any overlap.

PSP

Pros
- Large Screen, It really is rather lovely.
- Easy access to memory stick as PSP functions as USB mass storage
- Easy to find and cheap as dirt
- Very ergonomically pleasing
Cons
- Fucking huge pain in the ass to get modded to run custom firmware, acres of documentation to wade through which changes rapidly.
- Fairly short battery life, especially if you get an older model
- Midi out is a mythical unicorn which is unlikely to materialize
- Uses Song Memory Sticks which are a shade more expensive.
- Headphone jack in a mildly annoying place (bottom left).

GP2X
Pros
- Uses standard AA batteries,
- VERY easy to get piggy running, download, unzip and run it. super easy.
- Uses standard SD cards which are cheap as chips.
- Sensibly placed headphone jack on the back of the unit.

Cons
- Seems to go through batteries quickly.
- More expensive and as Bleo mentioned, hard to track down.
- Headphone jack is too small for a lot of cables, there is a weird kind of recess with the whole in I have had to shave the shielding off some cables to get them to fit.
- Thumbstick is very much a personal taste thing, I don't like it much, some people swear by it.

Dingoo
Pros
- GBMicroish formfactor, literally pocket size and bad ass. Throw is in your back and forget about it.
- Charges via standard Mini USB jack
Cons
- Uses Micro SD (weird middle size SD card), minor con but worth bearing in mind.
- by far the least comfortable to use (bleo is a robot and has square hands so it doesnt bother him).