Also, kitsch, I drew up a quick idea for one o them stickers you were mentioning before:

matt's mind

thank you sooo much big_smile  thats so nice of you, downloaded and remembered!

no problem! I'm also planning on making a bunch more, I'm just learning vector graphics and this is a pretty fun project actually haha smile

matt's mind

oh, ok, let me look up the dimensions for the sticker place real quick then if you are playing around with the idea...

(brb)

edit - 45mm wide, 20mm tall, thats max.  so, maybe 0.5mm lesser than this each way.

Alright smile Do you like the style?

matt's mind

for your benefit, i did up a little picture.  it helps capture the overall design concept of the case, if that helps at all in the sticker approach.

and, this shows exactly where the sticker spot is.

i'll be making up a sheet of 9-12 stickers to include with each case (more than likely, not entirely sure about this yet), all the same size, all different designs, hopefully all different artists.

white background on the sticker sheet, no need for PNG transparency in the design.

size: 44.5mm wide, 19.5mm tall, those are sizes i'll have the stickers made, better to make the design this sie so nothing goes wrong in resizing.

i should just point out to everyone......  i'll do a proper thread for the stickers later, its a little early to finalize any of this  wink

(also) any questions about the silicon buttons, which is the update, just ask!

Louisiana

I has question about the silocons. You think you might do any solid colors like maybe colors to match the original colors of the DMG. Yellow, green, blue, white, red, and of course black. or maybe that pinkish color that the lettering on the black DMGs is and the original A B buttons? that would be pretty sick. Just curious

Germany/Florida

Im curious to see how the outcome of these cases are. Its an perfect idea. Im more curious on to see how these are casted, im assuming basically the same way the buttons are made? Im pretty sure your going to have alot of crazy colours as well

Also, kitsch, I have access to a 3d printer, so if you want me to print out the current model with the plastic we've got just to see how it works before you commit to getting it made, I can do that with pretty much zero issues.

matt's mind

from the newsletter

hi everyone,

64M USB Smart Cards are restocked: http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/usb-64m-smart-card

enjoy, and keep chipping!

matt

thanks!

matt's mind
Vex wrote:

I has question about the silocons. You think you might do any solid colors like maybe colors to match the original colors of the DMG. Yellow, green, blue, white, red, and of course black. or maybe that pinkish color that the lettering on the black DMGs is and the original A B buttons? that would be pretty sick. Just curious

yeah, at some point we'll do this, not for a while.  the whole reason in doing silicon in the first place was for illumination.  next thing to do is a rework of the A/B buttons and the dpad, which has already been started...

colors will come later, i just don't know how soon.  if the demand is super high, a lot quicker.

matt's mind
Tetrasaurus wrote:

Im curious to see how the outcome of these cases are. Its an perfect idea. Im more curious on to see how these are casted, im assuming basically the same way the buttons are made? Im pretty sure your going to have alot of crazy colours as well

yep, same way just more complex and bigger.

injection molding/moulding.  pretty cool.

matt's mind
Frostbyte wrote:

Also, kitsch, I have access to a 3d printer, so if you want me to print out the current model with the plastic we've got just to see how it works before you commit to getting it made, I can do that with pretty much zero issues.

hmmm, possibly.  the mould I can have revised as long as its not 'hardened', after this I can't make changes.  so, its not quite so one-shot...

but, this is a really nice offer regardless, you could even make yourself a case if this happens!

can you do this with *.stp files, or whats the format you'd need?

matt's mind

from the newsletter

hey everybody -

today has been filled with packaging, doing the write-up, and taking tutorial pics for the new RGBbb backlight revision... very long day.  but, these are ready wink

http://store.kitsch-bent.com/product/RGBbb

the new version, variant B (vb), has several new features:
-- only 1.2mm thick
-- color-coded wires for easy hook-up
-- built-in resistors
-- built-in polarization and diffusion films

it will work with the RGBva pcbs, but the resistors need to be removed and this gap bridged with solder (if you have one already). i'll have this done and some RGBva units for RGBbb (vb) very soon.

they are thin enough to work with the gameboy pocket as well!

like mentioned, the documentation is nearly completed.  its very simple, if you are familiar with backlight installation all you do with these is solder the white wire to the regulated 5V and the colored wires (whichever colors you want illuminated) to ground.  everything is built into the backlight circuitry already, so you don't need to worry with external resistors or different optical films.

there has been a price reduction on the original style RGBbb backlights, now referred to as variant A (va).

till next time, keep chipping!

matt

thanks!

Cleveland, OH

OSM. Is the case "hardened" yet? When can we expect to see it in the shop?

matt's mind

wink

nah, its not...

i guess to explain what that means to everyone:
- the mould is first made, but uncured
- this allows for a test run in softer plastics (solid, clear is too hard)
- once the samples are approved, the mould is hardened/cured (somehow) so harder materials can be used.  the mould can't be changed after this...  but you can use clear plastics.  not entirely sure if this means you can die-cast metals in the mould...  i should probably ask just for kicks.

unfortunately, i got word the factory doing the surface finishing part won't be done until after the lunar holiday, so it seems like the samples themselves won't be until early February.  sucks, but its a pretty large project and i'd rather them do it right than rushed...

i'm doing a run of the samples, and should have some spares to sell.  i'll post pics here when the samples arrive, so interested people should hear about it (also will send out a newsletter and stuff)

hopefully that answers the 'timeline' question wink  get asked this a lot...