rochester, ny

A+!

Matthew Joseph Payne

Is there any way these could be sold as kits, say with the enclosure, arduinoboys and power supply installed, but you provide your own systems, backlights, carts, etc? It seems like the most complicated thing you'd have to take care of would be gameboy controls, otherwise it's just linking power inputs to the power supply and building out the prosounds.

Godzilladelph

ILL. I'm curious as to how hard you can push it with midi

San Diego
kineticturtle wrote:

Is there any way these could be sold as kits, say with the enclosure, arduinoboys and power supply installed, but you provide your own systems, backlights, carts, etc? It seems like the most complicated thing you'd have to take care of would be gameboy controls, otherwise it's just linking power inputs to the power supply and building out the prosounds.

I agree with this since I like to do most of my own work if possible.

looks beautiful! really very impressed, like Nitro said i think you could get away with one arduino per unit, maybe that helps with the cost?

also i was planning to build something similar to this, but i never got around to it (its a long term project) but i have loads of ideas that would only work for something like this, things like hot swapable carts, single controls for multiple gameboys, single screen for multiple gameboys with backlight colour indicating which gameboy you are controlling, trackerball interface, etc, as well as loads of sync effects, because you can effectively have two gameboys permanently synced

Fargo
NeX wrote:

looks beautiful! really very impressed, like Nitro said i think you could get away with one arduino per unit, maybe that helps with the cost?

also i was planning to build something similar to this, but i never got around to it (its a long term project) but i have loads of ideas that would only work for something like this, things like hot swapable carts, single controls for multiple gameboys, single screen for multiple gameboys with backlight colour indicating which gameboy you are controlling, trackerball interface, etc, as well as loads of sync effects, because you can effectively have two gameboys permanently synced

Leave it to Nex to take ideas to a level we never knew was possible.  This all sounds amazing!

X

Last edited by DSC (Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm)

Milwaukee Area, WI

I can't even begin to imagine the kind of music I could make with a Ninstrument hooked up to a laptop running Ableton. I really hope these aren't crazy expensive because I would love to get one.

Feature request, a cart slot would be a plus.

San Diego

Personally I wouldn't need to much on the documenting side, just a quick pic and summary of what you did. Same as what NeX does for his blogs. If there is more interest in you documenting it I wouldn't be opposed to it though. wink

Milwaukee Area, WI
Vile wrote:

Personally I wouldn't need to much on the documenting side, just a quick pic and summary of what you did. Same as what NeX does for his blogs. If there is more interest in you documenting it I wouldn't be opposed to it though. wink

Well, some of us do need documentation :\

matt's mind

yeah, would love to see an internal shot step-by-step, i'm curious what the insides look like during the process just for kicks.  wiring is always my least favorite thing of any project, i admire peoples wiring as odd as it sounds...

i've thought about doing a eurorack (or MOTM or modcan) arduinoboy unit for a while, just no time.  indeed this is badass, i'm so glad someone did this with such quality. 

the rack looks great.

you should contact nbscloset.com and see if they could help you out with a laser etched front panel for your kits, or just for the future ones, would look sick...  wink  also, for kits, get in touch for bulk pricing on some of the parts, some of them we could help with for the kits... wink

Texas

That almost made me tear up in sheer awe of the awesomeness of that. O_O

X

Last edited by DSC (Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm)

DSC wrote:

Wow NeX, Krubbz is right.  Those ideas sound awesome.  I will definitely pick your brain on a couple of those.
Maybe we can collaborate and build you the ultimate rackmount.
As far as the kit possibility.  I don't see a problem with that at all.  Couple of cautions though.

To get the DMG-01's to fit I had to cut off the pad portion off of the bottom of the top pcb and a quarter inch off of the top.  Once done a few of the traces have to be reconnected in order to reestablish working order.  By the way, I know these pics are ugly, but this was just a test to see if I could relocate the pad to the right.  You have to cut a quarter inch off of the top and the entire pad area off of the bottom to get these to fit in a 2U unit. And they BARLEY fit!
It's kinda scary hacking up a DMG-01 hoping it will still function when your done.

If you feel comfortable doing this to your standard DMG-01, then I will entertain the idea of building a diy kit.  The NES side is cake.  Remove guts from a NES install inch and a quarter standoffs and your done. But the DMG's require heavy modding.

If any of you are interested in a step by step creation of the next prototype, please post here.  I will be honest, if it is only a couple of people who are, I won't bother.  It's a lot of time taking pics and building a step by step. I would rather focus on building not documenting.

it would be quite easy (if i knew how to use Eagle) to design a PCB which was just for the screen it would be a bit smaller than the one you have done there.

also have you thought about a pitch bend? cross fader? different crystals too? again these ideas are all adding to the price. i have no doubt that everyone will want one, but i don't know how many can actually afford it.

Fargo

If I can't afford it, I'll save until I can!

PH

DMG//s inside?? Coool!