Los Angeles

Honestly I think this is sad. 2 hacked gameboys in a 2u fullspace rack is kind of a insult. You would be better off using a FPGA and doing your own device, not to mention Nintendo licensing. You though of that right?

Sorry but I think you are doing it wrong. Any real professional musician as you would put it, (like myself) would rather use a plugin with a laptop than bother with a few hacked up gameboys running mgb. 

Innovate not emulate.

*does not condone or admire*

X

Last edited by DSC (Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm)

Los Angeles
DSC wrote:

Well that's disappointing.
Since this is your site, do you want me to pick up my toys and go somewhere else?
Are you man enough to answer this question?

It's not my site, this is a community and everyone's entitled to their opinion.

X

Last edited by DSC (Jan 20, 2012 9:41 pm)

Los Angeles
DSC wrote:

If you do not condone it and it's running your software and this site is run by you, I find it hard to continue this thread if it insults you.
That was not my intention and I appreciate the software you created.
I will take my project somewhere else in respect to your establishment.

No, it's not my establishment. Continue on.

Finland

Make a nice small tabletop version with some filters and possibility to tweak incoming midi signals with transposing / arpeggiators etc  and I would be interested.

Unsubscribe

Yea at that price, id probaly start thinking about something like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muse-Research-R … 2ebac5a483

and chipsounds.

Finland
herr_prof wrote:

Yea at that price, id probaly start thinking about something like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muse-Research-R … 2ebac5a483

and chipsounds.

I have this + chipsounds:
http://www.smproaudio.com/index.php/en/ … v-machines

Its not as sucky as every review says, and I got it for under 200e so I think it was pretty good deal:)

Unsubscribe

ive actually been thinking about that, you should post a review in another thread.. id be interested to talk to you more about it.

Finland

Point me to right topic and I'll answer your questions;)

/offtopic

Milwaukee, WI

I would not mind a write up!  I'd love to read it.  A kit would be amazing - if it was priced reasonably enough, I'd buy one for sure!

Unsubscribe
DKSTR wrote:

Point me to right topic and I'll answer your questions;)

/offtopic

http://chipmusic.org/forums/post/87381/#p87381

Fargo
trash80 wrote:

Honestly I think this is sad. 2 hacked gameboys in a 2u fullspace rack is kind of a insult. You would be better off using a FPGA and doing your own device, not to mention Nintendo licensing. You though of that right?

Sorry but I think you are doing it wrong. Any real professional musician as you would put it, (like myself) would rather use a plugin with a laptop than bother with a few hacked up gameboys running mgb. 

Innovate not emulate.

*does not condone or admire*

This is a bit disappointing, but he does make sense. 
What would you suggest?  Is there some way this project can be salvaged and still win your approval?

Sweeeeeeden

After listening to trash80 and giving this some additional thought, I think I agree with him. Who's going to use this and why? Apart from the initial wow factor, what's the point of the unit? You're taking up a pretty big space, and take away functionality. (The d-pad and the buttons, mainly.) I could possibly understand the want for a rack unit, but even then there are better way to do it, and more interesting sounds than that of a (or even four) Gameboy(s). (MIDIBox, say...)

Here's my suggestion. Your skill is custom case creation. Make a sturdy tabletop unit that can be used on stage. Add things like this filter or this one perhaps. Add a delay unit. Maybe allow control of those things from the Arduino. Those are things that would actually be useful and offer a clear advantage (both physical and functional) over a stock unit + a separate Arduinoboy.

Los Angeles

I can understand a one-off or a few units for people or whatever, but honesty thinking about it, it would need to be reworked so that there is 1 microcontroller working with midi, redo the screen pcb and possibly the screen itself into a new physical format so it's not terribly hacky, the cart slots would also HAVE to be accessible- They do get bumped, they will crash, they could be wiped, without easy physical access I can foresee many issues.  as well all buttons would need to be accessible to adress all of the functionality.

For a "Product" and not just a few custom units, I would suggest ditching the idea entirely and just going with FPGA and r2r DAC or something. Which is a larger scope project but much easier to produce.

As far as mGB and Arduinoboy are concerned the licensing allows distribution with commercial products as long as any modified source is released to the public. But then again, there have been countless man-hours spent on those projects FOR THE COMMUNITY and not for someone to turn around and make a buck on. I don't want money, it was made for it's purpose and will still be maintained that way.

rochester, ny
DSC wrote:

X

oh boy...