What was this thread about? I can only see X everywhere u_u

Milwaukee Area, WI
Tsuki wrote:

It was for something called the Ninstrument but the author cleared it all out. Kinda fishy.

Unsubscribe

A gray world of dread
Moriokun wrote:
Tsuki wrote:

It was for something called the Ninstrument but the author cleared it all out. Kinda fishy.

Probably just frustrated. I followed this discussion a little although I have no interest in the topic, and actually was about to happily chime in that I value the maturity of this place where people can disagree on something without ending up butthurt.
I guess not. tongue

New York City
µB wrote:
Moriokun wrote:

Probably just frustrated. I followed this discussion a little although I have no interest in the topic, and actually was about to happily chime in that I value the maturity of this place where people can disagree on something without ending up butthurt.
I guess not. tongue

What the fuck happened here???

Finland
akira^8GB wrote:
µB wrote:

I guess not. tongue

What the fuck happened here???

Guy put two Game Boys running mGB to a box:)

Last edited by DKSTR (Jan 21, 2012 12:37 am)

San Diego

DSC had an interesting idea and created a rack mount that had 2 Game Boys(with screens on the front) running mGB and an NES inside. He was wanting idea's or feedback on it to make it better or possibly sell it. The thread was going good with a lot of feedback and ideas until Trash80 made his comment. If you look right after that Trash80 quoted DSC so you can see what he said and exactly how he reacted to it. Then in a flash.....BAM.....X's for all of DSCs posts.

Personally, the idea was interesting to me. The applications could work for some individuals but not for everyone. Trash80 was a little harsh with his criticism and DSC was instantly offended.

Last edited by Vile (Jan 21, 2012 2:13 am)

IL, US

i see trash80's point, tbh ... the case design is of course, beautiful... but when it comes down to it, i wouldnt want it to be hardwired to only be for mgb, id want cart slots minimum...when i think of what i can do with a 1U rack synth, i think of the yamaha fs1r as my standard-bearer... on the other hand, id be all for rack mount nes/ardunioboy/game boy rack combo with cart slots and full sync capabilites.... there are good directions this idea can be taken it, for sure, just the initial idea could offer a bit more to the end user and i think its a shame that you would consider abandoning discussion about it here over trash's statements
(esp since my thoughts about where it could lead would have mgb as a minor part of the device, not the main basis for it)

USA

I would probably just put the Gameboys and whatnot in a rack-mounted drawer if I wanted it built into my rack.

But right now my Gameboys are directly on my pedalboard, I like to keep them close and my pedalboard is always within reach on stage.

Fargo

Don't give up on this DSC.  This is a great idea you had.  I know you worked really hard on this, and I know it probably frustrated you to hear such harsh criticism about something you made and worked really hard on.  But, the fact remains that you have a great start, and you should take what you heard here and roll with it.  Get some of these guys involved with making something that is unique and innovative.  Make a Kickstarter.  The Ninstrument could be one of the pioneer bridges from chipmusic into popular music.  I have lots of audio engineer friends who wouldn't consider using game boys because they see them as low-fi obsolete toys, but when I played them some music I wrote, they liked it.  Every time.  If they could get a piece of gear available to them that would appeal to their "everything needs to be professional/big boy" tastes and cut down on the clutter, they might try it.  I think the sounds these things produce interest and appeal to a lot of people, but the methods scare them.  To have something like this, boxed up and ready to plug n' play, may convince them to try it.  At the same time, I don't mind the methods scaring off some of the less hardcore people who might try to turn this style into overly-simplified ultra-marketable radio crap  tongue  I like this community how it is big_smile  However, it deserves to expand.  At the very least, this could innovate things for us chip musicians and producers, assuming you collaborate and create something from what you heard here.  Keep it up, DSC!

IL, US

those rack drawers look sweet, who makes them? mine isnt as nice, its handle sucks

USA
e.s.c. wrote:

those rack drawers look sweet, who makes them? mine isnt as nice, its handle sucks

http://www.adrenalineflightcases.com/2u … m-Lockable

I don't own them, the drawer in my old rack was actually a crappy computer keyboard rack-drawer.

Kinda like this -

Los Angeles

Yes I was harsh. The reason being is that I received emails and such from them and never replied.
Because to me:
- Missing major components and completely missing the idea and heart of chip music in general.
- mGB only + Arduinoboy in a rack case that was bodged together seemed like a clumsy solution and I can easily foresee longterm stability issues.
- It was way over priced, but on the flip side there is a lot of work involved. Just not practical.
- When I make something for free I want others to have the same respect to the work I put into it. It was and will not be used for profit from my side, so I can not condone it.
- There are better & more flexible solutions to recreate chip sounds without using old hardware. Like I said before, FPGA, etc.
- Possible legal issues if it was a commercially made product.

There were some other things I didn't like but I don't see how listing them would be conductive to this discussion. Some of which I found offensive and or personal preference.

Also note I did state that it was a community site and he could continue on without my support, I wasn't going to stop discussion for my own personal issues, but it was rather difficult to remain silent.

IL, US
SurfaceDragon wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

http://www.adrenalineflightcases.com/2u … m-Lockable

I don't own them, the drawer in my old rack was actually a crappy computer keyboard rack-drawer.

Kinda like this -

i have one of those, as well, thanks to herr_prof... got some crazy looks from guys out on the corner selling shit at 4 am in brooklyn walking to the train with it, and even more weird looks taking it as carry-on

Philly, PA, USA

This is why I hate stupid shit on the internet. There's no reason to pussy out and delete posts about work that your proud of because one or two people don't think it's worth the time/money.

There were several people who were clearly enthusiastic about the work, and as with anything on the internet there are gonna be people who aren't interested.

People need to grow the fuck up or actually do something they're proud of in the first place.

SYDNERDIA

Deleting even the topic of the thread is just plain childish.
Can't you stand by what you say?
I call for the original content, for the sake of posterity.