Theta_Frost wrote:

- Breakout ports for controllers
- 4x pitch with the LTC1799 controlled by MIDI
- 4x MIDI controlled lowpass filters

These are great ideas.  Midi control over the LTC1799 sounds cool.
Always open to more suggestions as far as a name.  I wanted it to be identifiable without to much effort.
I've received several emails through my site in the last 24 hours too.
One of them is very, very cool.
I hope to incorporate it into the next prototype build, which will start in 4 weeks.
I will update the blog, so stay tuned.

Unsubscribe

good job on getting this thread back on track lads. Looking forward to seeing what develops.

San Francisco

everytime i start getting bored with chip you guys seem to suck me back in. digging all the ideas. probably wont help but might give some inspiration...

http://www.analogbytes.org/

the gameboy filter project and all that is sweeeeet.

I would to see a all in one rack like this for chip. very exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wsum6ukX7w

Last edited by wedanced (Jan 23, 2012 9:10 pm)

Response has been overwhelming!

Richard Devine tweeted this last night.

K emailed with this to say:

thanks!
i will definitely check back, but please also email me when they are available for purchase!
i am running 5 nintendos side by side right now, and have been looking for a way to de-clutter. i have been wishing for a while that someone would build what you are!
have you considered including sid?

P emailed with this to say:

Hi, i saw this on a synth forum, and i am so utterly excited at the sheer existence of such a thing. I am a producer, synth programmer, touring keyboardist, and enjoy using analog and vintage synths. How much does one of your machines cost?

This has been great. About 3000 hits in less than 12 hours.  NeX whatever concept you are working on, dust that baby off cause there is definitely interest for this concept!

Fargo

YES!  I'd love it if you included SID!

London

this is AWESOME! i like the way youve put the dmg-01's in the rack,

beats my bulky and lazier approach of "bolt the fronts on the front of the rack approach"

maybe a port for a nes controller to control the gameboys from sitting down, because i always find with racks a bit of a pain in the ass pushing buttons.
would be cool... or even a snes controller and use the spare buttons to shift which gameboy your controlling!?

m30w wrote:

this is AWESOME! i like the way youve put the dmg-01's in the rack,

beats my bulky and lazier approach of "bolt the fronts on the front of the rack approach"

maybe a port for a nes controller to control the gameboys from sitting down, because i always find with racks a bit of a pain in the ass pushing buttons.
would be cool... or even a snes controller and use the spare buttons to shift which gameboy your controlling!?

I'm glad you posted m30w,
I actually have a couple of questions for you.  I like what you did by the way.  It makes more sense than a bunch of systems tossed here and there and all over the place. One spot, better efficiency.

I measured today and I think I could mount the top PCB flush against the front of a 3U panel.  This might be a diy kit option that we could offer to people who don't want, or don't have the tools to modify their top PCB's.  This would be a bit more expensive, because it would be a 3U case.  What do you think?

Did you have trouble using the d-pads real time, or during a performance?

Again, thanks for posting.  Any info or experience you have using your mod would help us learn from what you have already done.

San Diego
m30w wrote:

Would probably be easier to have a DPDT rocker/toggle switch to change between the Gameboys and controller, or even a rotary switch if you have more then 2 in your setup.

San Diego

@DSC  Another option, not to sure of the difficulty, could be to have the top PCB and screen sit at an angle as opposed to being flush with the front of the rack. I mean, just thinking about how high most rack mounts are or can be at a gig it might be easier for the screen to be at a slight tilt. This could also help with keeping it in a 2U rack.

NeX told me he had a way to control these with the trackball on his smart phone.  Maybe a cheap tablet with a wireless option, or is that too much.
Maybe a nes controller with a switch for each unit in the rack like Vile mentions, but then you still can't be too far away to see what you are doing.
It's a tough one.

San Diego
DSC wrote:

NeX told me he had a way to control these with the trackball on his smart phone.  Maybe a cheap tablet with a wireless option, or is that too much.
Maybe a nes controller with a switch for each unit in the rack like Vile mentions, but then you still can't be too far away to see what you are doing.
It's a tough one.

Trackball breakout board. I know there could be a way to go wireless but it would definitely add a bit to the pricing.
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9320

Trackball does sound interesting.  I will have to burn some brain cells on it.

On a side note I wanted to let everybody know the next prototype will have access to the cart slots, so you can use your own carts and run whatever you want to.  The back panel will be labeled as DMG 1,  DMG 2, etc.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

i would love a classic chip sounding rack.  The idea is great i like what you have now and i hope you do more variations in the future.  It sounds like the interest is there, i hope at some point a kit or something will become available.

Had an interview with Chris, one of the head members of absoluteextremes last night
My site will feature alot of details and impostant information about the current ninstruments and ones to be produced in the future
site should be up by tuesday next week or so

Fargo
Vile wrote:

@DSC  Another option, not to sure of the difficulty, could be to have the top PCB and screen sit at an angle as opposed to being flush with the front of the rack. I mean, just thinking about how high most rack mounts are or can be at a gig it might be easier for the screen to be at a slight tilt. This could also help with keeping it in a 2U rack.

Yet if you think how low racks can be at a studio, it wouldn't be good if the screen was at a permanent tilt downward.  Maybe there could be a tilt option to tilt up or down.  Or even a video out for a breakout screen?

matt's mind

or put two swivle points on the sides of the screen so you could tilt it, like a mirror.  you'd need to reinforce your solder joint but it should be very manageable.  put two stopper in there so you can only tilt it so much.  that might be a workaround...