IL, US

I'd think you attach his name because you are building heavily off his work

Geneva, NY
DSC wrote:

...I received no response.  Then I released it...

Maybe this is the point where things went from bad to worse.

Sweeeeeeden
DSC wrote:

If he is insulted by it, why would I attach his name to it.

Because the license Arduinoboy is released under (GPL) requires attribution, among other things. The point of releasing something under a license like GPL is to set the terms straight without having to deal indivudally with every person who wants to use a piece of software.

DSC wrote:

I think he is being generous even to allow me to post it here.

I don't want to get deep into the politics of all this, but I'll clarify something trash80 said before. CM.O is not "his" place; it's everyone's place. He's the main administrator (and I'm the other one) but if either one of us think something about something, that doesn't make it the official policy of the site. As you may have noticed, admins and moderators don't have user titles or post counts beside people's post, and the point of this is to keep people from going on power trips for whatever reasons. The opinions of admins/mods have equal weight to anyone else's, except in the few situations when there's a rule violation.

I would be more than willing to give him all the credit, I just need to hear it from him, as to not piss him off more than I already have.
Please tell me what credit you want, and how you would like it to read and I will post it immediately.
You don't see my name or Josh's name anywhere in the reviews.  Do you really think this is the direction I wanted for this project?

I thought we all could have benefited and be well on our way by now.

Sweeeeeeden

You could mention somewhere that the Gameboys are using Arduinoboy/mGB, maybe with a link. This would technically satisfy the attribution requirement of the GPL I think. As it is now you're giving no attribution and someone who doesn't know could think you made all the software yourself.

For example, like this:
The Gameboys are powered by Arduinoboy/mGB. The NES is powered by Chip Maestro.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Jan 30, 2012 6:36 pm)

England

Hoping to smooth things out here.

DSC, I think that the long and short of this is that if you have made a derivative work on top of GPL'd stuff, then you must abide by the terms of the GPL. Anything else is not my business.

'Nuff said from me.

Done,
On every page and every post. From now on.

Unsubscribe

I no longer have any opinions on this.

this feels like its getting a little bitter again, do i have to come back here and tell you all to play nice?

WOW MAN!

I hate to stir the already troubled waters in this discussion but I have to say something.

All of my NES software, NTRQ, Pulsar and PR8 were developed and released for anyone to use free of charge. In the past I've had people want to, for example, make and sell cartridges with my software on. They have respectfully contacted me and asked my permission and in some cases, where appropriate, a portion of the money made from the sales has been donated to my chosen charity.

This project was brought to my attention by another CM member who spotted that the creators intend to use NTRQ on it and are actively using this fact in their marketing.

They are effectively, thus, making a commercial product out of my free software without even so much as contacting me to ask permission.

Of course, by releasing my software publicly, for free, anyone is able to do what they like with it and nobody really needs to ask for permission. I would, however, given the amount of time and effort that went into NTRQ and for which I have (willingly) not been paid a penny, that I would at least be afforded a little respect from anyone wishing to make a derivative commercial product from it.

Neil Baldwin laying down the truth, can't argue with that at all! I fully support Neil's software developing vision.

I understand the confusion based on our prototype. 

The next prototype we are working on has removable carts slots.  The nes cart can be removed by opening the bonnet and changing out the cart.   WE ARE SELLING HARDWARE ONLY.  We have acquired a developer and will write and use our own arduino code to power the gameboys.
WE ARE NOT SELLING SOFTWARE!  We are encouraging our customers to acquire their own software.  We will offer them information on
how to obtain it and in some cases purchase it for them, but these are separate transactions outside of the sales of our units in WHICH WE WILL NOT PROFIT ANYTHING!!!  Similar as to what is being done by Non-electronics.  If we obtain proof of purchase, we will flash a cart for them.
We have a customer who purchased a NTRQ cart from you and requested it to be installed into his Ninstrument.  He provided his cart and we are installing it for him.  His transaction was with you and that is the way we prefer it.  Just like it was done before.  Nintendo sold the units and other game developers sold their games.  We are selling heavily modified units and we encourage our customers to search out and find the various programs to run and use on their Ninstruments.

Sorry for the confusion.

Unsubscribe

Neil and Trash should sell badges that say ABOY/NTRQ INSIDE ala intel, and then oems can buy them direct for their commercial use big_smile

herr_prof wrote:

Neil and Trash should sell badges that say ABOY/NTRQ INSIDE ala intel, and then oems can buy them direct for their commercial use big_smile

Yes, I agree.  It would simplify things.  Oliver (nanoloop) has it figured out. Mssiah and cynthcart are straight forward.  I plan to donate $10 or more to LSDJ for every copy we buy.
Frustrating.

Last edited by DSC (Feb 2, 2012 2:02 am)

rochester, ny

how would one use ntrq this way? would there be a video out and they'd have to buy a rackmounted tv or something?

New York City