NC in the US of America

Welcome, maqs22, hope you have fun on your journey through music and don't forget to check out the FAQ

Glasgow

Ok now I found the introductions thread...

I'm Arri from Scotland smile
I'm mainly into 16 bit era sounds like Mega Drive, one day I hope to get rid of it's horrible amp and replace it with something more modern and clean sounding. I'll be having a good read through the forums.
smile

Last edited by Arricat (Jun 17, 2013 10:39 pm)

Germany

better late than never big_smile

Hey, I'm Bamboori!
I'm into chiptunes for some years already and created some very few songs during that time (one that was released on an album can be found here, but its not chiptune tongue).
I was not very active and only downloaded songs from 8bc.org, until it went down one day. Then i kinda forgot the chiptune scene, even though i was still listening to my collection of chiptunes.
Now a while ago i was searching for a good chiptune source again, because i was trading music with a friend and wondered why i didn't get any fresh chiptunes on my phone. Well, i landed here and made an account for commenting. One day then i got a message from luftek, who asked me if id like one of his usb adapters for the dmg. As I am a hobby modder i wasnt interested, but that pm actually got me motivated to try making my own tunes!
And now I'm getting my stuff together, so far only one dmg still being modded and one flash cart on the way. I plan to add much more asap smile
So maybe in the next few weeks/months I'll come up with some fresh tunes for you to listen!^^

Yo guys, thought I'd introduce myself the right way by posting here lol.

Manchester, UK

Hello guys n' gals, how goes it? I've signed up here because I'm starting to incorporate some chiptune elements into my music, and this seems like a good place to get some inspiration and advice. I like to make electro house and stuff like that mostly, but I've only been doing this a couple of years so I haven't nailed down a genre just yet. I absolutely love the sound of 8-bit leads and motifs over the top of hard-hitting electro basslines. I'm also kind of thinking about forming a shitty rock/chiptune band sometime (I'm not going to pretend there's no Anamana influence there), so I can blast out some power chords behind 8-bit melodies, but who knows if that'll happen.

Since I'm posting anyway, here's a question. I'm guessing there MIGHT be some bad feeling towards people like me who prefer to incorporate 8-bit elements in their tunes, rather than make all-out, 100% chip tunes. Is that the case? Like am I viewed as some kind of diluted mongrel? It doesn't particularly bother me if there is a small group who feel that way, but I'm interested to know either way.

By the way I know a couple of chiptune guys already, including Bit Wish (who I like to think of as "The Misunderstood Hero"), Orin, and Kubbi just a little bit. Anyway, I anticipate some tl;dr's in response to this, so I'll shut the hell up now.

Alive and well in fucksville

@ Boddrick... Who cares about other people's bad feelings? Don't let others tell you what to make. its your 24 hours, live it!

Manchester, UK
bitjacker wrote:

@ Boddrick... Who cares about other people's bad feelings? Don't let others tell you what to make. its your 24 hours, live it!

Totally agree! Like that dog in you avatar; other dogs might judge him for wearing a game boy jacket but he doesn't care! He's rocking it!

It doesn't bother me either way like I said, but I'm interested for some reason. Weird little groups like that usually exist in niche genres.

Hey guys! I'm Jack, I come from a band formally known as "Vacant Angels" but I left (and picked up a GameBoy, LSDJ and Nanoloop of course) after I heard artists such as Wick8dC8t and BlizzBit. As you can probably tell from my taste I really like some good chip dub. Anyway, enough blabbing! ;D

Hope my stay here is pleasant, you guys seem awesome!

\m/

Edit: Some typos ;D

Last edited by token (Jun 21, 2013 4:50 pm)

NC in the US of America

@Boddrick: Advice: Try to do a little bit more than just power chords. Don't make the chippies do all the work wink

And.... don't limit your "chiptune elements" to a mere square-wave. I strongly suggest you actually DO try to delve into actual chiptune so you can see what the real deal is and then use what you've learned in the other stuff you do.

Manchester, UK
SketchMan3 wrote:

@Boddrick: Advice: Try to do a little bit more than just power chords. Don't make the chippies do all the work wink

And.... don't limit your "chiptune elements" to a mere square-wave. I strongly suggest you actually DO try to delve into actual chiptune so you can see what the real deal is and then use what you've learned in the other stuff you do.

Don't worry dood, I was self-deprecating a bit with the power chord thing, although I do love 'em wink

And yeah, I see what you're saying on the chiptune front. I don't want to half-arse anything, so maybe I'll try and put some decent chip tunes together as practice in that area. I have a DMG and LSDJ on the way, actually, which I'm looking forward to playing around with.

New Albany Indiana
Boddrick wrote:

By the way I know a couple of chiptune guys already, including Bit Wish (who I like to think of as "The Misunderstood Hero"), Orin, and Kubbi just a little bit. Anyway, I anticipate some tl;dr's in response to this, so I'll shut the hell up now.

I can vouch for bodrick, he's a pretty cool guy.

ANy way, sad 8bb went down the drain.

Manchester, UK
Bit wish wrote:

ANy way, sad 8bb went down the drain.

It is a shame, that site had potential. I guess that's what happens when the originator stops giving a shit 2 weeks after starting a forum!

Yokohama, Japan

Hi All,

I have been hanging around CM for a while (just reading posts). I have played guitar and in various bands for about 10 years but for a long time I even rejected any kind of electronic music (meaning no guitar = no good). Slowly I started an interest and about 1-2 years ago I got into Chiptunes. I'm a kid from the 80's so yeah I had a C64 and some gameboys but being a stupid kid I never did anything but play games (regret not learning more like programming). Anyway as I was in bands I have written many songs but they are guitar based, I haven't written any chip music of any kind yet but do own a gameboy with LSDJ also have famitracker (and I have ableton, although this is not very chip). Still learning the software, but hope to get many tips and inspiration for this (great) forum then I will get off my but and complete a song.
BTW I'm from Australia but live in Japan, if there are other CMers living in Japan it would be cool to hook up even just for chip chats etc.

Montreal, Canada

LET ME GUIDE YOU TOWARDS THE LIGHT BEFORE YOU JOIN THE RANKS OF THE EVIL GAMEBOY. KLYSTRACK. USE KLYSTRACK! WE HAVE TOO MANY CRAPPY GAMEBOY MUSIC ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

(that was all shift. only pussies use caps lock)

washington

YOU KNOW HE'S SERIOUS BECAUSE HE TYPED AN ODD AMOUNT OF EXCLAMATION MARKS (AN EVEN NUMBER MEANS HE'S NOT SERIOUS)

BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE SHIFT KEY ALSO.

UK, Leicester

Use famitracker, shits hella dope