Cleveland, OH

Yeah you get a much truer color when backlighting. If you backlight a DMG LCD with a white backlight it turns out greenish. If you backlight an MGB screen the white backlight it will actually look black and white more or less, at least compared to a DMG.
*I approve of this mod even though it means you wont sell me any more MGB LCDs* sad

Hey, I think your PM box is full! Just sent you the shipping payment 12ianma big_smile

Louisiana
justinthursday wrote:

You should post a pinout though.. Please??

I second this. I'm interested in seeing a pinout also I have a pocket that's just laying around and has no use and a front DMG pcb that has a destroyed screen. I'd love to attempt this mod and see how it comes out.

After talking with nex (Ralph Tyler) He has said he does not want the pinout to be public at this time. Because he created the mod i respect this request.however if you sign a non-disclosure agreement I can send you the pinout for person/non commercial use.

Here is my blogspot website aswell, check it out once in a while
http://maizemods.blogspot.com

12ianma wrote:

After talking with nex (Ralph Tyler) He has said he does not want the pinout to be public at this time. Because he created the mod i respect this request.however if you sign a non-disclosure agreement I can send you the pinout for person/non commercial use.

Nex doesn't own the rights to the DMG's schematic.

He didn't create anything here either, he was just the first one to do the mod. The similarities between the LCDs was already common knowledge among gameboy modders and enthusiasts. I understand you're probably requiring a NDA just out of respect for his work, but it doesn't make any sense to forbid commercial use for something like this. Most of the pins, if not all, are already documented online. For the ones that aren't documented, they can be determined quite easily with a multimeter.

Cleveland, OH

I was going to say this but I'm glad you beat me to it.

Just trying to show respect. He brought those similarities to light. I'm not trying to bum anyone out.

thanks guys, i only asked that the wiring which took me a very long time to work out was kept private for a little while so i can work on some new ideas, this mod isn't THAT simple as a quick test with a multimeter, i am a little disappointed, as i have always respected you guys and the work you do and i have always forwarded US customers on to you,

Louisiana

I also highly respect Nex I talked to him on a very common basic and have a very high respect for his work and input in our community but I also disagree with it being kept from public eye. However I do only want to try it out on two gameboys that's are worthless to me and if I can pull this off it'll atleast give me one working gameboy rather than two non working...on that note where is this disclosure clause I need to sign so I can get this done? O_o

Or do I just need to contact him personally? If that's the case I'll just PM him on the Facebook. Just let me know. He's typically a very busy dude lol so I don't want to bug him unless need be.

Last edited by Vex (Jun 22, 2012 8:21 am)

PM 12ianma he will sort it out for you,

i wasn't planning to keep the details private for ever, just until i had built a few designs that will benefit everyone, i wanted to make replacement front boards for the DMG with a pocket screen socket, so it would all be plug and play. i am just a bit busy at the moment to get the eagle files finished, but after that i was going to release all my notes and details i have on the gameboys,

Louisiana
NeX wrote:

PM 12ianma he will sort it out for you,

i wasn't planning to keep the details private for ever, just until i had built a few designs that will benefit everyone, i wanted to make replacement front boards for the DMG with a pocket screen socket, so it would all be plug and play. i am just a bit busy at the moment to get the eagle files finished, but after that i was going to release all my notes and details i have on the gameboys,

Well if it isn't the man himself lol. Well thanks a lot and  man I'll do that sometime this weekend when im off from work. Cheers

I will release my findings aswell as an official conversion guide at his time of disclosure

Also on the subject, figuring the pinout for this, unlike Ralph (nex), was much more trying to me as I understand very little compared to him. A multimeter didn't help for shit, and I ended up basically guessing 100s of times. my advice is get a notebook and write down what works and doesn't. If anybody wants to use the pinout I have for non commercial purposes, I have the agreement (Ralph also approved) that I can send you to sign.

Last edited by 12ianma (Jun 22, 2012 10:10 am)

NeX wrote:

thanks guys, i only asked that the wiring which took me a very long time to work out was kept private for a little while so i can work on some new ideas, this mod isn't THAT simple as a quick test with a multimeter, i am a little disappointed, as i have always respected you guys and the work you do and i have always forwarded US customers on to you,

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't intending to belittle the work involved in the mod- you know I like your work and contributions to the community. This just isn't the type of mod that should be monopolized.  There's a huge distinction in my mind between intellectual property and figuring out a pinout to something.

well of course i can't prevent anyone from working it out themselves, Ian worked out the pinout from photos of my work, i don't know where that works out as intellectual property, they were my images and information was extracted from them, which i don't mind either, i wouldn't have posted them if i didn't want that happening, but i wanted to evolve the idea first before i made the pinouts public and because Ian worked out the pinouts by starting with my photos, he was kind enough to keep them private too until i am ready.

really the main reason i don't want them public is not because i am selfish, or want to stop anyone from selling something that i "pioneered" but because i feel many people will give this a try and end up destroying gameboys. i have bought lots of cheap pocket gameboys on ebay with broken screens where someone has tried to backlight them. since Bibin came up with the backlight for the pocket gameboy idea, many pockets have died, i don't want that to happen to more gameboys, which is why i want to come up with a plug and play solution and then the pinouts can just be for reference or experienced modders.

Apeshit wrote:
NeX wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't intending to belittle the work involved in the mod- you know I like your work and contributions to the community. This just isn't the type of mod that should be monopolized.  There's a huge distinction in my mind between intellectual property and figuring out a pinout to something.

I TRIED to work it out from the photos. all they helped with was the pins I could see on the bottom set of DMG pads. then, many hours of guesswork. however I did make a diagram of the pocket ribbon, and this helped as I studied the patterns between it aswell as the DMG front board. still had very little coralation. This was not an easy endeavor, and I respect Ralph greatly for it.