Trento, Italy

this thread is like the bad part of 8bc
i listened your ep and dunno who can say you used zef instruments cause these instruments are hardly recognizable in your tracks.
Putting random notes here and there is not a form of art.
my cc are: stop whining, clear your cartridge and restart writing music, release next ep in 2018 and maybe it will be cacophonic in a right way.
OR you could go in the shower and wait 4 jack to write music for you, then put the screamo in a separate file.
Sorry but this thread is really embarassing.

England

i just get a bit weary of all the nintendo fetishism

New Albany Indiana
iano wrote:

this thread is like the bad part of 8bc
i listened your ep and dunno who can say you used zef instruments cause these instruments are hardly recognizable in your tracks.
Putting random notes here and there is not a form of art.
my cc are: stop whining, clear your cartridge and restart writing music, release next ep in 2018 and maybe it will be cacophonic in a right way.
OR you could go in the shower and wait 4 jack to write music for you, then put the screamo in a separate file.
Sorry but this thread is really embarassing.

cm.o are full of dick heads. I the song i was talking about is "38" , and i did use zef instruments in those, and that's not cc, it doesn't help me become more productive at all, and please leave your comments relating to my music in the thread for it.

And maybe you might read some of the info in that thread before assuming hmm?   

"it will be cacophonic in a right way."
first of all, your not using the word in he right way.

And again, please keep comments pertaining to a thread in the right topic.

Jellica wrote:

Yeah I don't really get the fascination the newer gen has with nintendo

Austin, TX
Jellica wrote:

Same, this is pretty much the only thing that kinda bothers me after a while, but the most common NES/GB tracking programs are great starting points for learning tracking and composing electronic music in general, and we're still seeing innovation in those fields. I'm glad that we're starting to see more people branching out into FM-based hardware and some more obscure systems, like DefleMask's support for the PCE/TG-16, more Genesis support, etc.

New Albany Indiana
themask wrote:
Jellica wrote:

I think they like to act like they played there pokemon and are making music out of nostalgia, me, im the opposite.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think people use the Game Boy because it's common, durable and has a lot of great software on it.  It's also portable, which is a huge advantage when it comes to amateur musicians because a good portion of amateur musicians can't dedicate large chunks of time to composing, so a device that can travel with them allows them to use any chunk of free time to work on music.

The C64 sounds great, but it has serious design flaws that cause reliability issues.  It also isn't a self-contained solution and requires a TV or add-on LCD screen to use it as a full-featured sequencer.

The Amiga is amazing and I can't fault it in any way, the software is readily available and easy to learn and the system is mega powerful.  I'm not sure why more people don't use it, maybe the hardware is less readily available or more expensive in certain places?

[Insert obscure 8-bit micro or video game console] is under-documented and lacks any software that is accessible to musicians.  You basically have to learn assembly to get any music out of this device.  It certainly has many advantages and quirks that define it, but it doesn't have mass appeal.

That being said, I use many of the systems that seem less 'in vogue' today (Atari ST, Amiga, PC speaker, OL3, Soundblaster, C64, microcontrollers) and I enjoy working with them.  However, I understand why they aren't as popular.  If a platform requires that you be both a musician AND a programmer (or very technical minded, at the very least), then it makes sense that the user-base will be smaller.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jan 24, 2013 9:59 pm)

Gosford, Australia

yea tracking on a gameboy is pretty much the easiest thing imo
which is why i think a lot of people try it out and catch the bug hard

like, i've been getting into AT2 and the learning curve is super steep. it just feels so convoluted compared to LSDJ which i got a feel for in a matter of minutes. but i do love FM, that cheap 2-op sound is way more nostalgic for me than a gameboy.

Last edited by Victory Road (Jan 24, 2013 11:53 pm)

New Albany Indiana

OK guys lets keep this on topic.

Tacoma WA
Bit wish wrote:

Lol. Going off topic is always the good part!   God mom you ruin everything!

*Slams door behind him and pouts in his room*

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
jefftheworld wrote:

I'm not sure why more people don't use it, maybe the hardware is less readily available or more expensive in certain places?

I already had a gameboy when I found chipmusic, so that's what I use

Gosford, Australia
Bit wish wrote:

Abandoned on Fire

I think the perceived "hardware or its fake" attitude pushes newcomers towards the cheapest and easiest to find platform which is obviously gameboy.  The same attitude prevents new and sonetimes old chippers from considering all the great dos options which anyone can run totally for free.  I dont have a solution, just saying its a shame.  :'(

Playboy Man-Baby
Bit wish wrote:
themask wrote:

I think they like to act like they played there pokemon and are making music out of nostalgia, me, im the opposite.

I /did/ play Pokemon on mine, but since day one of chipmusic-ing, I've done everything in my power to entirely segregate my music from "omg i rembr mario and pokman".

Austin, TX
jefftheworld wrote:

The Amiga is amazing and I can't fault it in any way, the software is readily available and easy to learn and the system is mega powerful.  I'm not sure why more people don't use it, maybe the hardware is less readily available or more expensive in certain places?

The Amiga is super cool, but, like many home computer systems of its ilk (ZX Spectrum, Atari ST, MSX and the few other imported Japanese ones), it didn't take off in the states. It's not hard to find one, but it's not like an NES or a GB where you can go to the local retro game store and pick one up on the cheap. And since it didn't have market penetration, there are fewer people with nostalgia for the hardware. Not that that's necessary, but it's not helping its case to the average "I wanna be a chiptune" fellow.

babylon

when i discovered chip it was cause i heard uoki-toki and ralp without knowing what chip or lsdj or any of this stuff was. then saw live performances by iayd and sievert without understanding exactly what was going on . all the other stuff i grew to appreciate over time but my original intent was not to be chip or 8-bit, but to be a gameboy artist. not out of nostalgia or accessibility or any of that other crap but out of wanting to emulate people that inspired me musically. i understand why people get frustrated because of how it seems to overpower the chip scene but i dont care. gameboys are just fucking cool.