mainz, grmny.
Dos wrote:

One time I told my uncle I had this big gig, and he asked me what I was going to be playing, and I told him gameboy.
He laughed at my face and said "I should just slap you upside the head for that one".

Why do you stop where it gets interesting? What happened next? What did you say? Was he angry? Aids?

ohgodno, Indiana

My family thinks somethings wrong with me if they DONT hear me blaring chip lol

UK, Leicester

My parents don't really know much about chip, other than that I listen to it sometimes. Every so often one of them will come in when I'm listening to Micro D, or one of the compilation albums I have downloaded. My friends aren't massive fans, most of the time, they either don't know what it is, or don't care, although I do have one friend who has a slight interest in it, enjoys some of the tracks I show him, and is infact the guy who bought me my first DMG as a birthday present. When it comes to the band, the reception is varied. The Bassist likes some tracks, but doesn't really do bouncy, dancy stuff, likes gritty tracks, and the guitarist doesn't like it that much.

Santa Cruz, California

The only people in my family that talk to me (and honestly the only people in my family I don't mind talking to) are my Dad, my brother, and my sister.
My dad has always been supportive of my artistic ventures, and encourages me to pursue anything that makes me happy. As for the chip music? He could probably live without it... no tolerance for electronic music. He does, however, like to see me modding, painting, composing, and creating.
My brother kinda likes chip, but I doubt very much that he spends any considerable amount of time listening to it.
My sister? She does rock climbing and listens to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros... so, unless chip was added to music she already listened to, she'd just hear a bunch of bleeps and bloops.
My friends? They all think I'm magic, and consider pretty much everything I do as amazing feats of technical and mechanical wizardry. Most of them only listen to one or two genres of music, and think everything else is just noise.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (May 8, 2013 6:44 pm)

New Albany Indiana

I think it's better when my parents don't know about what i do, the difference between your parents knowing what you do and Ignorant of it, is the difference between going out to eat with the family and going to a night club.
My friends think that's a joke. A friend asked what he should do as a hobby, he has been the most accepting and knowing of my chip activities so i told him to take up tuning. When my other friends heard about it they said stuff like, "he has even more of a life than you (me) to do that." Five minutes after suggesting that he try, he asked me what he needed, and since then he has put some time into trying and appreciates my music after trying it for him self.

When i asked my mom if it was alright if i made a trip down to Lexington for BRK fest she was skeptical, which is funny because she lets me go to heavy metal Norwegian bands, she either thinks that im going to an orgy or thinks im with a cult.

Allot of times if im playing some chip my friends will be like "Turn that Pokemon crap off".

My sister thought some of it was cool because she is a "Musician" her self, and a huge wanabe hipster.

I would say my most accepting friends are you guys.

New Albany Indiana
b4by f4c3 wrote:

My family thinks somethings wrong with me if they DONT hear me blaring chip lol

Can i come and live with you in Gary?

Finland

Parents are parents- but mine are also very supportive.
Brothers and sisters are cool with chip and my brothers are generally big fans of retro stuff and of course remember the heyday of C64 and stuff, so they are also fans of chipmusic in a broad sense.

It's a very chill environment in that way.

Friends mostly don't get the fuzz but think it's OK/pretty cool.

smile

Los Angeles, CA

My pops is... Less than supportive of my music.  I remember when I was getting started I wanted to make c64 tunes, and I offered to buy one of his old ones for like $300.  He refused and put them in long term storage while he moved across the country.  My mom is super though, even though she tends to like my older stuff that I'm not really a fan of anymore.  My friends are the best, they really do get it and actually enjoy my music.  My grandpa is probably my biggest fan, always buys my albums day of release for way more than he needs to, and he's responsible for every suit I've ever worn on stage.

orange county, CA

Both of my parents are the best. They support 100% and even bring out their friends to shows and stuff. They love it. My dad used to play drums and is a concert maniac. He's goes and films tons of shows (mainly rock stuff). But yeah he'll spread my tracks through his social networks and stuff. It's awesome.

Family wise in general i have great support. My aunt always films my shows, even if it's just an open mic or something. I have a cousin who is an EDM producer so we always work together and i'll come up with some 8bit square wave stems for him and such.

My friends also support it alooot. They're always interested in hearing new stuff. Or when i'm out on the road on skate trips, some of the guys like to hear the writing process in the car and give feedback as i'm moving along with the track. It's awesome.

My friends and family are the best.

Orange County,CA /Las Vegas NV

Well, to start off a little here, I have been homeless the longest time, until recently this february. I was homeless  in Las Vegas.. eww how I hated those cold nights lol. Anyways I live with my gramma and gf now, work. My parents however, didn't care about me musically nor in general and I have always been poor, so leaving the house wasn't too hard of an adjustment. Now that I have a laptop for me, and software to get my lsdj files all recorded, I an finally show myself as a musican, but as for the posters family, lucky dude man, some us wished we had your parents support! I have to do everything on my own!

canada

one time i played chipmusic to my dad and he said "slag off you idiot. YOU IDIOT!!!!" he said you idiot twice i couldn't believe it

NC in the US of America

some of the guys like to hear the writing process in the car and give feedback as i'm moving along with the track. It's awesome.

That really is awesome.

Bloomington, IN

I've showed my songs to my parents. They like my music and are supportive of my creativity. My little brother thinks it's boring and is very up front about that. He's not much of an electronic music person though. He likes rap.
Aside from that I haven't really shown many people because I'm kind of embarrassed and don't want to show people if it's not actually as good as I think it is. My friends sort of find out gradually and when they listen to my music they're like "Holy shit I didn't know you made stuff like this! This is awesome what program do you use?!"

I played one show and my parents and other family members were there. They love me and all of my bloops.

my only family is the cadbury's caramel bunny

Douglas, Wyoming

It's just my grandma and me, she thinks it is cool but doesn't really grasp it. My brother thinks it's neat but doesn't seem personally interested. I've tried showing friends trackers and stuff but they mostly see it as novel or "video game music"
I did however find a friend who has genuine interest in it, she had heard of unicorn kid and I got her listening to some I Fight Dragons and is cool if I play it while she's over. I showed her a couple things I did tracker and gameboy wise and she was pretty impressed.
Also did a school speech on chiptune as a demonstration, I missed the deadline and made it up after school but the teacher and everyone thought it was actually really cool, and a close friend actually gave me his gameboy pocket (in near mint condition!) for free as a token of appreciation. I link some friends some covers and stuff and they seem to range from liking it to indifferent but so far no one has ever really hated it (or at least told me to my face).

Last edited by Monotron (May 8, 2013 11:59 pm)

Playboy Man-Baby

My cousin plays 6-string bass, and he finds my chip stuff interesting and novel, but likes to find sounds in my songs that remind him of Mega Man and stuff that we played on NES a lot when we were younger. My sister thinks it's stupid and annoying, especially when I'm using the desktop to record things. Dad was supportive in that he appreciated the composition and stuff, but he wasn't too invested in it outside of the fact that it's something I'm invested in. Mum doesn't really care about the details, but says that most people should be, and is always trying to get me to talk about/show off chiptune stuff to her friends/their kids, and she usually is supportive when it comes to me going to chip events and booking shows and stuff. Aunts and uncles mostly don't care as much as they do about my guitar stuff. Close friends either A.) like electronic dance music and consider chiptune to be synonymous and thus go to see me do chip stuff sometimes, B.) help me set up shop when I go chipbusking and all that, C.) have no opinion, or D.) Ended up, themselves, getting into making chipmusic.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (May 9, 2013 1:23 am)