New Albany Indiana
Alpine wrote:

Yo dude, unless you're hella blind or something, the last 4 pages of this have had at least some CC

Im trying to end the whole "chiptune as a verb thing", its already been stated, i'll take it into consideration.

New Albany Indiana
SketchMan3 wrote:

Well, you can't write off reputation as being unimportant. Reputation is kind of a big deal in any community.

I don't really think it's just that, though. This thing, while a good effort, just smacks of "amateurity" and it just feels off, for all the reasons that have been listed before. Probably once you actually take the CC that has already been given and use it to improve the article, people will probably give a care to give whatever "useful CC" you are looking for. As it is, though, they probably couldn't give a Gameboy's link-port cover about this article, and they don't really care to improve it. After awhile people get tired of giving advice, tips, feedback and cc to a person who refuses to listen and act accordingly.

For example, why has this thread title not changed after 4 pages of people complaining about it? Though I admire your strength of will. Don't compromise your integrity, man, is what I always say.

Bit wish, I don't know how long you have been in this game, and I don't know how long everybody who's posted in this thread has been in the chipmusic thing. It's really the "heavy-hitters" who have the most say in these types of issues (the "chiptune as a verb" thing). I haven't been in this thing long enough to know every single one of them, so forgive me if I don't recognize you guys. But if the response in this thread is indicative of the feelings majority of the "scene" and you can't understand how they feel, maybe you just need to spend more time in the game.

I really think you should just leave it as is, forget about this thread, and come back in a few months or years and revisit the article after you have had more experience in all things chiptune and see if you can't find out what needs improvement on your own. And don't try to set yourself up as an expert if you aren't one, ya know? People can tell. Humility is actually an important thing, especially when you are new.

Edit: All love, man. I'm not trying to put you down.

Edit: The absence of the input of certain key-people is telling. Looks like there are more than a couple newbs who's opinions matter about as much as yours and mine, lol.

I know what you mean brah, I hope i wasn't coming off as arrogant or what ever.

New Albany Indiana
thebitman wrote:
little-scale wrote:

The title could be changed to "How to Chip Tune with a Game Boy".

But what about nanoloop????

I thought about that, but then again i no nothing about nanoloop other than the word.

New Albany Indiana

it's sort of hard to take constructive criticism when it's delivered with this much scorn.

Chicago IL
Bit wish wrote:

it's sort of hard to take constructive criticism when it's delivered with this much scorn.

it's sort of hard to give constructive criticism to something that's delivered with so little effort

vancouver, canada
Saskrotch wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

it's sort of hard to give constructive criticism to something that's delivered with so little effort

and Bit Wish, just so that you don't just write off Saskrotch's remark as some kind of douchebag comment, i'm telling you right now that he and most everyone in this thread is 100% correct.  I read your "article" and it was so haphazardly put together that i couldn't bother taking it seriously enough to analyze it in any detail.  And i'd like to think i'm a pretty tolerant guy when it comes to this stuff.

Okay BW, read this next bit carefully.  I have some suggestions for you that WILL absolutely make your life better, for yourself, and for the rest of us.  I'm saying DO THESE THINGS RIGHT NOW and immediately your experience will improve dramatically.

1) Please, please stop doing any more of your little projects with the expectation that it's of any value to the chipmusic community.  The article was a waste of our time, and even your time -- not because you wrote it, but because from the content of the article you clearly didn't have enough experience or knowledge to contribute anything substantial to the community.   That's where you are right now, but that can change over time.  Therefore....

2) ... Please be quiet for a while, don't post in any topics, and use the next few months to observe and learn.  Many of your posts are inappropriate or don't make any logical sense, and the result is that it's confusing and angering a lot of the other people here.  You clearly don't yet understand yet how to interact well in a community, so take some time to learn before you consider hopping back in.  In the meantime, use this time to listen to more chipmusic, learn more about various techniques and platforms, and try to observe how people here might act in a way that results in good discussion.

3) Focus on writing music.  Write more music.  Over time, write better music.  Post it here.  Post it elsewhere.  Just write more music.  You'll feel better.  You'll also naturally learn something new each time.

I'm serious man.  do all the things above.  You'll thank me later.

Chicago

^

you spoke what I was feeling

bitwish, you have the motivation. harness it.

Louisville Ky

Ok, i can't see the other pages of this thread because they are blocked, so i don't know what the convo is.

The article wasn't *that* bad as these two pages suggest.

I guess the main idea was to direct newbies so they can get started, like a study guide.

I saw something about the color scheme for the site, as victory road said, its  inconsequential in the end, but a brighter purple really wouldn't hurt if some people are having problems with it, (which there also is a thread in the forum saying the same thing.)

To some one who might know more about this stuff, it might seem amateurish, but really, this info would be useful for the next person that asked the questions:

"How do i compose chip music(lsdj)?"
"Where and how do i get lsdj?"
"How do i use it on a game boy?"
"Where can i get a flash cart?"

^ and these are really the questions we all kinda had when we were researching this stuff, if thats what you were looking for.

Something else that's inconsequential: The usage of the word "Chiptune" as a verb, why should it matter this much?

There were some grammatical/vocabulary/punctuation problems but that webs copy to paste stuff is a whore, I think if you copy and past from word it keeps much of the same format, Google docs suck anyway when it comes to spell check just saying.

Any way, if you want some *constructive* CC just pm me or people that you trust.

Any way, chapiche.

IL, US

really should just find a better guide among those already written and just link that to anyone who asks

Louisville Ky

You might want to add some words to that vocab list, or take it away completely.

Capiche?

Louisville Ky
e.s.c. wrote:

really should just find a better guide among those already written and just link that to anyone who asks

Allot of them are over whelming, and there are not many "getting started ones" that have to to do with getting the gear and programs you need. I can see where he is coming from.

Capiche?

IL, US

this tells you all about the gear needed http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … read-this/
about all bit wish has that it doesnt is a link to a tutorial and a link to an emulator...

Louisville Ky
bryface wrote:

1) Please, please stop doing any more of your little projects with the expectation that it's of any value to the chipmusic community.  The article was a waste of our time, and even your time -- not because you wrote it, but because from the content of the article you clearly didn't have enough experience or knowledge to contribute anything substantial to the community.   That's where you are right now, but that can change over time.  Therefore....

2) ... Please be quiet for a while, don't post in any topics, and use the next few months to observe and learn.  Many of your posts are inappropriate or don't make any logical sense, and the result is that it's confusing and angering a lot of the other people here.  You clearly don't yet understand yet how to interact well in a community, so take some time to learn before you consider hopping back in.  In the meantime, use this time to listen to more chipmusic, learn more about various techniques and platforms, and try to observe how people here might act in a way that results in good discussion.

I don't come to this site often, only when i need help or am having a pm conversation as i am now, ok, let me just get to the point, i don't know how the people at this site are, as in attitude wise.

Maybe it's not him, maybe it's the site. He posted the same topic in 3 other chip based websites, and didn't get scolded.

And please remember that this thing was in the beta testing, he was asking for things to add or to fix, he wasn't presenting an finished project.

"Please, please stop doing any more of your little projects with the expectation that it's of any value to the chipmusic community."

The only opportunities you'll ever get are the ones you make your self.

New Albany Indiana
e.s.c. wrote:

this tells you all about the gear needed http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … read-this/
about all bit wish has that it doesnt is a link to a tutorial and a link to an emulator...

Im sorry, i don't have internet at my house so the only times i get to use it are when my neighbors arnt home and at school and mcdonalds. So i got bored and wrote it.

Louisville Ky
e.s.c. wrote:

So it's that much better.

Abandoned on Fire

@Orin - BW's expectations are all out of whack.  This is one of the few chip related places that WILL call you out on, and does not encourage, subpar work. Which is why I favor it heavily. The text that was posted as an "article" has nothing new/interesting to offer and was poorly executed. We are not impressed and see no reason for more effort to be wasted on it. Fin.