Warwickshire, UK
Decktonic wrote:

This is just where a bunch of curmudgeons go to argue about stuff.

Also I remember seeing that thread! But I was at work and couldn't listen to your album. Listening to it now smile

Haha - yeah, I've seen that a bit here which is why I haven't posted so much!

Play it loud, especially Nicotine Pang big_smile

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
TDK wrote:

BTW, regarding the C64 reliability issue mentioned in this thread, I currently have 3. One of which I recovered from a skip in 1996 and put it straight in to a box never to be switched on until last year. They're all working perfectly.

They're plenty reliable if you leave them turned off, but the absolutely horrible capacitors and the vulnerable, exposed pins lead to a large percentage of them dying out before their time.

Warwickshire, UK

Guess I've been lucky with mine then smile

Sweden
TDK wrote:

This community to me feels rather closed. Fine if you're already known here, but it doesn't seem to want to engage newcomers who largely get ignored.

I'd like to think that the scene is largely meritocratic. It might not even make sense as a single scene, because different groups and corners of it have largely different sets of meritables. Being ignored might mostly be an issue of trying to reach out to the wrong community of people. Simply trying to attract a "chipmusic" audience might just not be the optimal point of leverage if you're trying to poke at the group of people who would actually enjoy listening to you.

BTW, regarding the C64 reliability issue mentioned in this thread, I currently have 3. One of which I recovered from a skip in 1996 and put it straight in to a box never to be switched on until last year. They're all working perfectly.

Yeah, it's not really much of a problem. People should keep in mind that these things have worked for 20-some to 30 years, and that's probably a lot longer than you will ever be able to say about the current generation of laptop computers.

Andromeda's Black Hole
boomlinde wrote:

I'd like to think that the scene is largely meritocratic. It might not even make sense as a single scene, because different groups and corners of it have largely different sets of meritables. Being ignored might mostly be an issue of trying to reach out to the wrong community of people. Simply trying to attract a "chipmusic" audience might just not be the optimal point of leverage if you're trying to poke at the group of people who would actually enjoy listening to you.

This. Just. THIS.

Douglas, Wyoming

Oh god why has this reached 10 pages..

United States
jefftheworld wrote:
TDK wrote:

They're plenty reliable if you leave them turned off, but the absolutely horrible capacitors and the vulnerable, exposed pins lead to a large percentage of them dying out before their time.

metal pins oxidize, and is nothing that can't be repaired with basic maintenance. considering most capacitors have a rated lifespan of under ten years (shorter with long periods of inactivity) and the last c64 was made almost 20 years ago, i'm curious what your definition of "before their time" is.

Last edited by Boner (Feb 4, 2013 3:49 am)

Helsinki, .fi
jefftheworld wrote:

The Amiga is amazing and I can't fault it in any way, the software is readily available and easy to learn and the system is mega powerful.  I'm not sure why more people don't use it, maybe the hardware is less readily available or more expensive in certain places?

Amiga's tradition was carried on by PC tracker music which directly descends from Amiga trackers.

Now, because Amiga's music is usually sample based (no matter how simple these "samples" may be), most of tracker composers probably feel that there is no point returning to Amiga, since PC trackers can play Amiga MODs and do just the similar thing - only difference being that some hardware limitations (4-channels, 22khz frequency) are lost and new effects & features are included (interestingly, many PC trackers can also impose "Amiga limits" if composer wishes so).

Amiga's sound technology was clearly ahead of its time in 1985 (SNES in 1989 being next major machine to offer music based on digital samples) but due to the use of samples Amiga's paula chip didn't offer any distinctive sound in a way like C64, NES etc did. (though Amiga music may still be often easy to recognize due to similarities in style and chosen instruments)

Of course there are also those people who want to make Amiga compatible music and use either PC or genuine Amiga hardware for this. But as I said, difference between Amiga compatible tracker music and PC tracker music may feel irrelevant for many.

On the other hand, Amiga chipmusic does not need to be sample based. There are for example trackers like AHX which create C64-like sounds instead of using samples (note: AHX requires Amiga 1200 or better). OctaMED is another quite well-known Amiga tracker which supports "synth sounds" (in contrast to samples). There are some people who feel that Amiga's AHX format offers a kind of distinctive platform. It sounds quite much like C64 (SID) but is not the similar (generally speaking, the sound is brighter).

In case somebody got interested in AHX format, here's two tunes by Gjeir Tjelta
Blue Mazda http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lXb8tVy2OA
A New Beginning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRzGlO3vx7o

Last edited by franz_koopa (Feb 6, 2013 4:52 pm)

New Albany Indiana

Does any thing even have to do with the forum topic anymore?

los angeles

its shit

New Albany Indiana
shiroshii wrote:

its shit

what? the sceen? or just this topic? seems like thats somepeoples oppinoins.

Los Angeles, CA

Like most scenes, it's pretty awesome in real life, and for the most part total bullshit on the internet. It's too easy to be a smartass tough guy behind a keyboard and that makes people much more likely to say shit that would get them punched right in the mouth if they said it to someone's face.

UK, Leicester
shiroshii wrote:

its shit

/thread

Wizwars wrote:

Like most scenes, it's pretty awesome in real life, and for the most part total bullshit on the internet. It's too easy to be a smartass tough guy behind a keyboard and that makes people much more likely to say shit that would get them punched right in the mouth if they said it to someone's face.

There is quite a bit of that, the internet is a brilliant mask

New Albany Indiana
Alpine wrote:
shiroshii wrote:

its shit

/thread

Wizwars wrote:

There is quite a bit of that, the internet is a brilliant mask

Part of the reason why i'm afraid of going to shows.

rochester, ny
Wizwars wrote:

it's pretty awesome in real life, and for the most part total bullshit on the internet.

exactly how i feel.

Unsubscribe

Well thats what you get for letting 15 trolls dictate the conversation online.